minstrel: The Ballad Book

Katherine Penney Katherine_Penney at ccm.jf.intel.com
Thu Feb 27 10:33:00 PST 1997

Good.  I'm glad I misunderstood you.  :)
Constance

Subject: Re[2]: minstrel: The Ballad Book
Author:  owner-minstrel at rt.com at SMTPGATE
Date:    2/27/97 1:01 PM

>> There are also some weirder situations. "The Three Ravens" is known to
>> have been written down first by Ravenscroft in 1611, but also survived
>> (and slowly changed) in tradition down to the present day. I would
>> call the one printed in Ravenscroft "Ravenscroft" and the traditional
>> one "traditional, first published in Ravenscroft".

>         WAIT.  :)  You'd document Twa Corbies with Three Ravens???

No. I'd call Twa Corbies "Twa Corbies, traditional". It may be clearly
related to the Three Ravens text, but the tune is completely
different, and the first reference to the Twa Corbies text is 1802,
according to Bronson. A completely different tune and a parody of the
text isn't what I meant when I said "survived (and slowly changed)..."

And actually none of the modern collections of "Three Ravens" have a
tune anything like Ravenscroft. Only the first couple of verses are
similar. I'd note that the tunes sure seem to change more than the
words, as old ballads make their way to the modern era through the
folk music process.

G. B.