minstrel: The Ballad Book

Katherine Penney Katherine_Penney at ccm.jf.intel.com
Thu Feb 27 09:44:00 PST 1997

Text item:

     Constance, owner of the non-marking mail reader, says in indents:

There are also some weirder situations. "The Three Ravens" is known to
have been written down first by Ravenscroft in 1611, but also survived
(and slowly changed) in tradition down to the present day. I would
call the one printed in Ravenscroft "Ravenscroft" and the traditional
one "traditional, first published in Ravenscroft".
        WAIT.  :)  You'd document Twa Corbies with Three Ravens???  I'd
        draw a relational line there, but they are completely and totally
        different songs, no?  If you'd like, I can find and distribute the
        Vaudeville version.... :)   This is a particularly sore spot for
        me since I've seen people sing "twa corbies" at competition and
        documented it 1611.

        :)
        Constance

Text item: External Message Header