minstrel: The Ballad Book

Tue Feb 25 13:00:06 PST 1997

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997 e.tera at ram.psbgm.qc.ca wrote:
What is defined as "traditional"?  how much of it would be pre 1600,
 or at least passable at a bardic/minstrel circle?
I hope  my questions aren't too facile...I'm just starting up bardic/minstre
> Chiara Vinicii da Montepulciano

Well, I'm in the process now of revising an article I wrote that attempts
to answer that question.  Basically, when referring to Scottish Ballads
(i.e., Child), before 1600 (our period) would be "Early" whereas from
1600-1950 would be "Traditional" (unless the author is known, of course),
and anything after 1950 would be "Modern" or "Contemporary."  Of course,
these are MY classifications.  These are not written in stone.  Actually,
I should probably expand the Early period to about 1650.  Or move the
traditional period back to 1500.  You can see, it's not exact.  This is
just based on my own study.  Others would consider anything pre-1700
early, and others would consider "traditional" to mean "anonymous."  It
depends on who is using the word in what context.
	As to what is and is not appropriate for a bardic circle, of
course any pre-1600 peice is welcome.  Most people are apt to also accept
a post-1600 "traditional" song, especially a Scottish one.  Why this
happens is the focus of my article.  Scotiish songs retained a lot of
"medieval" qualtities well after the Middle Ages, and (since they are in a
more modern language) they are more accessable to us than mideival
language songs; yet they have that medieval flare.  My article points out
and details these medieval qualities of traditional Scottish songs.  Once
I'm through with this revision, I'd be happy to post the article here.
Aye,
Eogan