minstrel: Tom O'Bedlam

Sun Feb 9 09:26:55 PST 1997

> I know more than Appollo,
> Far off when he lies sleepin'
>         C: this isn't so arguable, in Shakespeare's time, Greek
>         poets (SENECA ESPECIALLY) were very influential...
>         (course, I don't know if Apollo is greek, he's oop as far
>         as I care!!!!)

I wouldn't use this arguement to post-date any peice of literature as
out-of-period.  The medieval writers (on Britian and the Contenant), were
very familiar with the Greeks, and used allusins to Greek gods and heroes
about as frequently as Biblical allusions.  Chaucer himself translated
some of Ovid's Metamorphoses (Roman, I know, but it serves as an example),
into English.
Aye,
Eogan