minstrel: Tom O'Bedlam

Heather Rose Jones hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 7 12:57:40 PST 1997

I'm finding all the various versions fascinating, but I'm rather
frustrated by the lack of attributions for most of them. Would it be
possible for people to give the sources for the version(s) they post? I
note that the song is referred to as "pre-Shakespearean" (presumably
because it is referenced by him) but the earliest date mentioned in
reference to a particular version was early 18th century. Do we actually
have a Shakespearean-era version or even fragment?

Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn