minstrel: Tom O'Bedlam

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Fri Feb 7 10:30:10 PST 1997

One of my old favourites.  Posting again, for the enjoyment of all:

                             Mad Tom of Bedlam

Chorus:
(V1)		    Still I sing, any food, any feeding
			Feeding, drink or clothing
                     Come dame or maid, be not afraid,
		       Old Tom will injure nothing.

(V2)              Still I sing bonny boys, bonny my boys,
                          Bedlam boys are bonny.
              For they all go bare, And they live by the air,
                     and they want no drink nor money.

                       For to see Mad Tom of Bedlam,
                     Ten thousand miles I've travelled.
                      Mad Maudlin goes on dirty toes,
                     For to save her shoes from gravel.

                      I went down to Satan's kitchen,
                       For to get me food one mornin'
                     And there I saw souls pipin' hot,
                         All on that spit a turnin'

                         Of your five sound senses,
                         You'll never be forsaken,
                     Nor wander from yourself with Tom,
                         Abroad to beg your bacon.

                     The night's my constant mistress,
                       And the lonely owl my marrow,
                The flamin' drake, and the night-crow make,
                         Me music to their sorrow.

                         I know more than Appollo,
                       Far off when he lies sleepin'
                      I see the stars of mortal wars,
                      And the wounded welkin weeping.

                      With a host of furious fancies,
                          Whereof I am commander,
                 With a flaming spear, and a horse of air,
                      Through the wilderness I wander

                      A knight of ghosts and shadows,
                         I summoned am to tourney,
                  Ten leagues beyond the wide world's end,
                         Methinks it is no journey.

                       For to see Mad Tom of Bedlam,
                     Ten thousand years I've travelled.
                      Mad Maudlin goes on dirty toes,