minstrel: Tom of Bedlam....

Fred (Flieg) Hollander flieg at garnet.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Feb 7 08:54:04 PST 1997

At 10:28 AM 2/7/97 -0500, TrueRhymer at aol.com wrote:
>I am trying to research the Song "Mad Tom of Bedlam", and also I am looking
>for the 5 th verse (with a host of furious fancy?)  Anybody got anything?  (I
>know it's about an infamous insane asylum, but not much more).  Cool Song, is
>there a cool story to match?_/;{]} True
  All I have from quick memory for that verse is the following:

  With a host of furious fancies
  Whereof I am commander...

  But my favorite verse is one that seems to be left out of a lot of the
versions I hear.

  By a Knight of Ghosts and Shadows
  I summoned am to tourney
  Ten leagues beyond the wild world's end
  Methinks it is no journey

   Gives me chills every time...

   Luck on your quest.

   *   *   *    Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OP, etc.
  *** *** ***   flieg at garnet.berkeley.edu
  (((Flieg Hollander, Chemistry Dept., U.C. Berkeley)))