minstrel: Reynardine

Gwenzilla gwynfyd at max.tiac.net
Mon Feb 3 07:04:21 PST 1997

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Elaine Rien forwarded someone else's request:
> >Does anyone have the lyrics to a song called "Reynardine"? A musician friend
> >of mine sung it once and called it a "song of seduction". I don't know where
> >I could find the lyrics for it.

Here are the lyrics I know to "Reynardine," although ballads of this
nature seem to have lives of their own and several versions are probably
about.

REYNARDINE

One evening as I rambled two miles below Pomeroy,
I spied a pretty fair maiden all on the mountain high.
I said, "My pretty fair maiden, your beauty shines most clear,
And on this lonely mountain, I'm glad to meet you here."

  Glad to meet you here, I'm glad to meet you here,
  And on this lonely mountain, I'm glad to meet you here.

She said, "Kind sir, be civil, my company forsake,
For to my great opinion, I fear you are a rake.
If my parents knew of it, my life they would destroy,
For keeping of your company all on the mountain high."

  All on the mountain high, all on the mountain high,
  For keeping of your company all on the mountain high.

I said, "My dear, I am no rake, but brought up in Venus' train,
And seeking of concealment all in the Judge's name.
Your beauty has ensnared me; I cannot pass you by,
And with my gun I'll guard you all on the mountain high."

  All on the mountain high, all on the mountain high,
  And with my gun I'll guard you all on the mountain high.

This pretty little fair maiden, she fell into amaze.
With her eyes as bright as amber, upon me she did gaze.
Her ruby lips and cherry cheeks, they lost their former dye,
And then she fell into my arms all on the mountain high.

  All on the mountain high, all on the mountain high,
  And then she fell into my arms all on the mountain high.

I hadn't kissed her once or twice 'til she came to again,
And modestly she asked of me, "Oh, sir, what is your name?"
"If you go to yonder forest, my castle there you'll find.
It's writ in ancient history, my name is Reynardine."

  My name is Reynardine, my name is Reynardine,
  It's writ in ancient history, my name is Reynardine.

I said, "My pretty fair maiden, don't let your parents know,
For if you do, you'll prove my rule and fate'll overthrow.
If you come to look for me, perhaps you'll not me find.
I'll be in my castle, so call for Reynardine."

  So call for Reynardine, so call for Reynardine.
  I'll be in my castle, so call for Reynardine.

Come all you pretty fair maidens, a warning take by me.
Be sure to quit your roamin' and shun bad company.
For if you don't, you'll surely rue until the day you die,
And beware of meeting Reynardine all on the mountain high.

All on the mountain high, all on the mountain high,
Beware of meeting Reynarding, all on the mountain high.

 Gwen Knighton          gwynfyd at max.tiac.net          (bard for hire)
 knighton at tiac.net http://www.tiac.net/users/knighton (I speak Geek!)
| I have news for you; The stag bells, winter snows, summer has gone.|
| Wind high and cold, the sun low, short its course, the sea running |
| high. Deep red the bracken, its shape is lost; the wild goose has  |
| raised its accustomed cry. Cold has seized the blackbirds' wings;  |
|       Season of ice, this is my news. (Ireland, 9th century)       |