Fwd: minstrel: Re: Songs of Archery

CONSORTMUS at aol.com CONSORTMUS at aol.com
Fri Jan 31 20:18:03 PST 1997

---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Re: minstrel: Re: Songs of Archery
Date:    97-01-31 22:47:23 EST
From:    CONSORTMUS
To:      minstrelpbm.com

Here are two songs that are of a hunting theme, although archery isn't
mentioned particularly.

The Lincolnshire Poacher

When I was bound apprentice in famous Lincolnshire,
full well I served my master for more than seven year
till I took up to poaching as you will quickily hear;

O 'tis my delight on a shining night, in the season of the year.

As me and my companions were setting of a snare,
'twas there we spied the gamekeeper, for him we did not care,
for we can wrestle and fight, my boys, and jump o'er anywhere,

O 'tis my delight...etc.

As me and my companions were setting four or five
and taking on 'em up again, we caught a hare alive,
we took the hare alive, my boys, and thro' the woods did steer,

O 'tis my delight...

I threw him on my shouldier, and then we trudged home,
we took him to a neighbour's house and sold him for a crown,
we sold him for a crown, my boys, but I did not tell you where,

O 'tis my delight...

Success to every gentleman that lives in Lincolnshire,
success to every poacher that wants to sell a hare,
bad luck to every gamekeeper that will not sell his deer,
O  'tis my delight...
O  'tis my delight...

The words and melody can be found in Folksong Arrangments, vol. 5, by
Benjamin Britten (the arrangements do not sound period),   publisher Boosey
and Hawkes.
<<<<<<<<<<

The next one is from the time of Henry VIII,  called "The Hunt is Up"

The hunt is up, the hunt is up
and it is well nigh day,
and Harry our king is gone hunting
to bring his deer to bay.

The east is bright with morning light,
and darkness it is fled;
the merry horn wakes up the morn
to leave his idle bed.

Behold, the skies with golden dyes
are glowing all around;
the grass is green, so are the treen
all laughing at the sound.

The horses snort to see the sport,
the dogs are running free,
the woods rejoice at the merry noise
of hey tantara, tee ree!

The sun is glad to see us clad
all in our lusty green,
and smiles in sky as he riseth high
to see and to be seen.

Awake, all men, I say again,
be merry as you may
for Harry our king has gone hunting
to bring his deer to bay.

This can be found in the "Reliquary of English Song,"   collected/edited by
Frank Hunter Potter,  published by G. Shirmer.

Hope these were of some assistance!

Mary Sinclair