minstrel: New stuff: was(Re:The silence is deafening...

Heather Rose Jones hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 29 19:50:49 PST 1997

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Fred (Flieg) Hollander wrote:

>   The inspiration for the song was the chorus, which was the theme/
> framework of a fantasy book which I recently read. Only the chorus
> is given in the book, and I was inspired to write verses for it
> constrained by the statement that it was a song about a soldier and his
> lover.
>
>   Two things came up at the Mists Bardic Workshop last night.
>   1) The chorus looks _awfully_ familiar. Anybody have any idea where
> Barnes might have gotten it from?

It's a (music hall?) song called (I believe!) "One for the Morning Glory".
You can find it on a number of folk albums; the one that comes immediately
to mind is Makem & Clancy's album "Two For the Early Dew".

>   2) What's the tune?

I'll hum it for you some time. You have conveniently managed to write
verses that scan to the verse part of the original tune! (Of course, it's
a little on the chipper side for some of your verses.)

Tangwystyl