minstrel: Beowulf Recording

Wed Jan 29 08:07:25 PST 1997

Greetings and wel mot, everichon!

Numerous times I have heard sound recordings of Beowulf being read aloud
in Old English, often to the accompanyment of a harp or rote.  Always
interesting to hear, but since I do not speak Old English, I wouldn't want
to listen to the whole epic that way.
	Recently, however, I was watching a PBS series called _The Story
of English_, and in the second episode, _The Mother Tongue_, they had a
proffessor (from Oxford, I beleive-- I can't recall his name, although I
plan on watching the video again soon and finding out who he is), playing
a rote, and *singing* Beowulf in Old English.  This is the first time I
had heard Beowulf being sung rather than spoken, and it was beautiful.
Now, of course, I am obsessed with the idea of finding a recording of
Beowulf being sung in Old English.  Can anyone suggest such a recording to
me, or let me know how I could find one?
	I appreciate your help.
Aye,
Eogan

"Ye knowe ek that in forme of speche is chaunge
Withinne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh he, and yet thei spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do."
	--Geoffrey Chaucer (late 14th cent.)