minstrel: Drum head skins

Ted Falkowsky tfalkow at telerama.lm.com
Wed Jan 22 10:06:45 PST 1997

Greetings,
	I am currently looking into building some drums from scratch.  I
haven't been able to find much information about curing raw skins for
use as drum heads though.  I was planning on using deer hide for most
of  the heads ( I can get a good bit of raw deer skin at the moment!)  I
know that goat skin is preferred, but, since it is available, I figured
i'd try the deer hide.  Has anyone else used deer hide for drum heads?
Thanks in Advance...

Ted F.