minstrel: Thomas Ravenscroft books available

Greg Lindahl lindahl at rt.com
Mon Jan 20 06:38:29 PST 1997

I am pleased to announce that I have finished scanning facsimiles of
the first 3 of Thomas Ravenscroft's collections of rounds and songs
from 1609 and 1611. Other folks have also graciously contributed a
large number of transcriptions into modern notation and midi of some
of these songs and rounds. Although these books are slightly
post-1600, I can come up with evidence that mnay of Ravenscroft's
rounds, at least, were "traditional", since there is a 1580 manuscript
containing 57 rounds, of which 48 are either identical or quite
similar to rounds in Ravenscroft's books. Ah, if only Elizabeth hadn't
given out that monopoly on printing music...

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ravenscroft/

Gregory Blount