minstrel: Cultural Transmigration (was The Coming of Spring)

J. Michael Shew jshewkc at pei.edu
Fri Jan 17 14:43:46 PST 1997

	Okay, but to keep from spamming the net with stuff everyone has
already read, I'll mail Volund to you privately.
	Nah!  The Norse weren't Censors...They were Critics!  "Yumpin
Yimminie!  what made Jou think dat is a poem?  Braggi und Sif, Burn der
stinker!"
	Seriously, even though the Deers Cry, et al were based on earlier
spells and chants, the copies we have, if my research is correct, of the
earlier stuff is also from the collections of the Patrican Monks....
	(OOOPS!  You and I may be stuck in a loop here, because the Irish
church may be the source of most of our best stuff, and that might have
been bent by the "outlook" of the librarians!)
	Okay, Guiness is fine.  But you try pouring any of that Irish
Poison Water down me, and by Braggi!  I'll Lampoon you!
	Mikal Hrafspa

    Mikal the Ram; an annoying Bard of no redeeming qualities
	That he is bright, let no man boast
	But take good heed of his tounge
	The silent sage , will seldom need grief
	They are honored here in the hall
	A friend more faithful, you will never find
	Than a shrewd head on your shoulders
			The Hamaval  (translation mine)