minstrel: Thomas and company, take note:

J. Michael Shew jshewkc at pei.edu
Thu Jan 16 13:26:14 PST 1997

	Just found this on the OldNorseNet.  Perhaps someone has use for
it.  I do mostly ealier research.

	Thomas: could this contain the answers to your questions about a
Norse-Irish connection in folk songs?

	Mikal Hrafspa

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 21:53:03 +0100 (MET)
From: "[iso-8859-1] Veslemy Solberg" <veslesol at grandma.link.no>
To: Multiple recipients of list <oldnorsenet at hum.gu.se>

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]

Last year (october-96) I released an album with Scandinavian medieval
ballads - (Veslemy Solberg: The Strength of the Runes; Nordicae 1996).
Many of the ballads (I also think the ones you describe) exist in several
Scandinavian countries  (different variants of the same ballads).

One of the characteristics of the medieval ballad is in fact its
internordic aspect.
We have text variants of many ballads from all the Scandinavian countries
-
and some are also found outside of Scandinavia , on the other side of the
North Sea. According to recent ballad scholarship, the ballad genre's
Nordic history started as courtly literature in Norway, probably in the
last two or three decades of the 13th century.

The Danish variants are to be found in "Danmarks gamle Folkeviser"
(several
volumes). In Sweden, you can contact "Svenskt visarkiv" (The Swedish
Centre
for Folk Song and Folk Music Research) Hagagatan 23 B, S-113 47 Stockholm.
Tlf: +46 8 34 09 35, Fax: +46 8 31 47 56 - and in Norway: "Visearkivet"
(Archives for Folk and Popular Song), Tollbugt. 28, N-0157 Oslo. Tlf: +47
22 42 90 90, Fax: +47 22 42 90 91.

Our CD can be ordered from: Musikkoperatrene AS, Tollbugt. 28, 0157 OSLO.
Tlf: +47 22 33 03 09 and Fax: +47 22 41 20 41.

Veslemy Solberg

    Mikal the Ram; an annoying Bard of no redeeming qualities
	That he is bright, let no man boast
	But take good heed of his tounge
	The silent sage , will seldom need grief
	They are honored here in the hall
	A friend more faithful, you will never find
	Than a shrewd head on your shoulders
			The Hamaval  (translation mine)