minstrel: Cultural Transmigration (was The Coming of Spring)

J. Michael Shew jshewkc at pei.edu
Wed Jan 15 21:31:18 PST 1997

	Interesting.  But I thought the transmigration from Norse tio
Irish and vice-versa was there for all to see:
	Take for example the "mythos" surrounding the Berserk, (The cattle
raid of cooley, etc.)  And the rythmic structure of some poetic forms.
There is also the interchange of Dieties...(Ever notice how much Freja
starts to look like Brigit, and vice-versa?)
	Sit sown with a good translation of the Elder Edda and the Irish
tales sometime.  The question is, Who inspired whom?
	I assume it was the Irish.  The Norse adapted almost everything
they ran into.  The other nice example is the Greek Alphabet and the Norse
Runic Alphabet.  Similarities are astounding...
	Mikal Hrafspa

    Mikal the Ram; an annoying Bard of no redeeming qualities
	That he is bright, let no man boast
	But take good heed of his tounge
	The silent sage , will seldom need grief
	They are honored here in the hall
	A friend more faithful, you will never find
	Than a shrewd head on your shoulders
			The Hamaval  (translation mine)