minstrel: Fwd: Opinions on Skaldic

ThoronR at aol.com ThoronR at aol.com
Tue Jan 14 21:04:26 PST 1997

---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Opinions on Skaldic
Date:    97-01-14 22:27:17 EST
From:    ThoronR
To:      minstral at pbm.com

Gentle Bards:

I am in the process of finishing an epic poem, and I would like some comm=
ents
on=20
it.  I want to re-create the feel of Viking poetry in English, which is
usually difficult due to the intricate rules of most Norse verse forms (w=
hich
were apparently easier to do in Old Norse than they are in English).  Wha=
I've come up with is sort of a mix of anglo-saxon  (alliterative) form wi=
th a
rhyme scheme.  I'm interested to know what people think of the form, how
close it is in "feel" to old norse verse, etc.  The epic is called "Doom =
of
the Draugr" and revolves around the norse legends of  Draugr-- people who
come back from the dead.  Here is the first section (please remember it's=
rough draft!).  Thanks for any comments you might have!

Thoron Ravenoak, Caid

Trogr=92s Fall

	Thunder rolled over			Towering mountains.
	Sky-ships releasing			Shadowy fountains.
	Walking the hill road			Washed by the cloud-tears
	Strode ugly Trogr			Shaper of fears.
	Crafter of ill-wyrd			Called by cursed names.
	Many suspected			Murder his passion
	Always unproven			After the fashion.
	Now was he grumbling		North of the Hoy fells
	Plotting his evil,				Planning his spells.
	Then as he came to			Edge of Tor Ness cliff
	Where the rocks moaned	And winds were stiff,
	Sudden a dark hand			From shadows stabbing
	Red Trogr flailing			Futily grabbing--
	Terror he screamed,			Thrashing, he fell
	Driven at long last			Down to cold Hel!