minstrel: Good Fun (WAS RE:Need some critique)

Baker, Mike mbaker at rapp.com
Mon Jan 13 14:27:00 PST 1997

Constance, you make fun while making music? WONDERFUL!

Yes, I know that you were primarily trying to poke fun at Thomas
light-heartedly. (And I am certain that Thomas uses fun in his own
entertainments, when appropriate!)

You made a very good point in poking fun, though: entertainers in the SCA
are all too often stuffy frumps who have forgotten *how* to make their craft
approachable and *entertaining*.  This goes back to the ancient debate over
authenticity and research vs. creativity and "fun".

I for one would rather have fun and entertain my audience than bore them
with a mini-lecture about the source of my material. There is a time for the
documentation, there is a time for the song or story.

And I will *swear* that I have heard "The Bear Hunt" performed as a
participation piece in competition -- and be enthusiastically received.
(used gonnes or spears instead of shotgun or "crossbow and riding velvets",
but....)

Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard)  s.k.a. Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri
al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!