minstrel: Re: Need some critique

JP Andrews jpathomas at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 13 06:42:20 PST 1997

Mikal Hrafspa has written a good song, with any luck we'll get to hear it
someday (don't ask me when).
I find it interesting that so many of us have tried this "Circles"(ish)
type of song.  For some reason many of us seem to associate the turning
of the seasons with pagan (or shall I say "pre-christian) religion.  I
wonder why?

I tried something like this a few years ago.  The song was written for a
contest at Caidan 12th Night, I believe that the contest was "best song
about winter", knowing that will put the last verse in perspective I
suppose.  On the whole I never really warmed up to this, although it has
proven popular at the bardic circles, though more so in the West than in
Caid.

The Coming of Spring
by Thomas Bordeaux

1.
Give me a song, give me rhythm and rhyme
Find the warmth of the sun in the circle of time
Breath new life to the trees from the heavens above
On the cries of an infant, on the wings of a dove

Chorus (repeated after each verse)
And we'll sing Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Oh for the coming of spring
And we'll sing Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Oh for the coming of spring

2.
Fill the forest with laughter, the heavens with light
For a warm moonlit evening filled with lover's delight
Fill the fields with flowers in colors that please
For all of Gods children take comfort in these

3.
Let the farmer's prepare all their fields to sew
Set the flocks out to pasture where the sweet clover grows
As the world makes its turning in darkness and light
A new day waits beginning on the edge of the night

4.
Take heart you good gentles and warriors so bold
Know that winter will end as is always foretold
Don't despair for the spring thought it's winter's dark night
For it's spring in your hearts though it's winter outside

Repeat chorus twice

It should be noted that when I was writing this I was very aware that
there would be many people of strong religious belief on both sides of
the "aisle" as it were, and I didn't want anyone to be offended.  So I
tried to mix metaphors and come up with something more or less equal.
After playing the song in public I started asking people if they felt the
song was christian or pagan.  Interestingly enough all the christians
said christian and all the pagans said pagan.

p.s. About the 12th Night contest, well, I didn't enter because I thought
my song didn't have enough to do with winter.  But no one else entered
eather, so the whole thing was a bust...

JP Andrews
(Lord Thomas Bordeaux)
Je voudrais que la tondeuse a gazon ecrase le chat du voisin...

Francais pour Chats par Henri de la Barbe