minstrel: Re: Need some critique

Heather Rose Jones hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 10 14:39:11 PST 1997

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, J. Michael Shew wrote:

> 	You are right in most cases.  I am torn between my usual Norse
> verse styles and the more "loose" modern musical style.  However, I might
> need to look into you comments.  They seem a bit less involved than my own
> proposed changes!

Well, I'm usually torn between a syllable-based system and a stress-based
system. If the work as a whole had been more clearly stress-based with
much more variation in the number of unstressed syllables per foot, then I
wouldn't have felt there were any problems. It was because the work was
overwhelmingly regular (except for the line-final bit) that the
irregularities stood out.

The place I usually run into that sort of problem is when I'm writing
modern verse with complicated, but ad hoc, rhyme/alliteration schemes.
After I write the first verse, I feel compelled to duplicate the
structures exactly in the others ... nothing is allowed to be accidental!

Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn