minstrel: Happy New Year

Alexandria Long longalex at pirates.Armstrong.EDU
Wed Jan 8 08:06:25 PST 1997

I have a tip that may help with learning pitches as well as sightreading.
Think of the musical line on the staff as a map. As the notes go upward,
so do the pitches, etc... This method works best if you look at a very
simple tune (twinkle, twinkle little star?) and follow the "map" while
hearing someone play the melody. This can also help with learning note
values. Of course it's a very basic idea, but for people who know nothing
about music it can be helpful, especially for adults (firsthand experience
as a college student has taught me that adults don't always learn quite as
quickly as fifth graders).I wouldn't rely on this method soley, but it's
something to get you started. Hope it helps.
---Cera