minstrel: RE: Translation Note

Baker, Mike mbaker at rapp.com
Tue Jan 7 09:21:00 PST 1997

Oh, you didn't have to change it jes' 'cause o' little ol' *me*...

The profs probably didn't catch it because they haven't deigned to learn
spelling (in English) and place their trust in their editors & grad students
to catch the real whoppers in their own output.

And no, I haven't missed *all* of them. This particular example I just
wasn't sure of myself, actually. Didn't want to attribute to "playful
malice" a potentially honest "mistake", in particular as I am only beginning
to study the translated item. (Heck, I'll admit it: I am a complete newcomer
when ON / Icelandic and related materials are concerned, and for all I knew
it may have been a dig aimed at uppity wives you were preserving from the
original.

SHORT RANT:
Sorry if that jab at the professor crowd sounds harsh. Fits with my
experience of many academics who seem to be jealous of the thought that
"amateur" does not necessarily equate to "untalented" or "unlearned". So
what if my degree does not say "Literature" or "_____ Language"? I have a
brain, a memory, and some skill at placing one word next to another even
without the benefit of fancy modern tools. (Much / most of my poetry & other
writing begins life as either longhand penmanship or an oral performance.)

I also have a broad base of knowledge that might not fit into their
traditional academic structure's preciously separated and segregated
"learning disciplines". I also have the bad habit of forming opinions in
areas I may not be considered to have proper backgrounds in: I've read a
book or article or three, not spent at least a year in immersion (I *wish*!
 - "personal paradise: ten year paid sabbatical with _unlimited_ access to
the Vatican libraries AND the language background to be able to read all the
good stuff like Aramaic & Linear B & Coptic Egyptian &c. ...").

Of course, if the *academic* longhairs get too uppity, I'll just break wind
in their general direction and keep having my brand of fun!

(Even that last does not mean that I have a complete lack of respect for the
collective work of professorial-level academics, however. SOMEONE with
training and interest has to keep the faith, preserve, proselytize,
rediscover, teach the next generations, etc. Too often, though, it is the
under-paid & under-recognized support structure of adjunct instructors, grad
students, and advanced-skills undergrads that shoulder the load. I've known
a few exceptions. Far too few...)

Rant is over, life continues, let's all have fun.

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!