minstrel: RE: Translation Note

Baker, Mike mbaker at rapp.com
Mon Jan 6 13:47:00 PST 1997

Mikal, glad to see that you are not "gone".

Now, about that translation:

>    That he is bright, let no man boast
>    But take good heed of his tounge
>    The silent sage , will seldom need grief
>    They are honored here in the hall
>    A friend more faithful, you will never find
>    Than a shrewed head on your shoulders
               The Hamaval  (translation [Mikal Hrapsfa])

Is a "shrewed" head one nibbled upon by small rodentia, or perhaps instead
one heaped with abuse by a nagging spouse?

<gryn>

(I *think* the moderne Aenglysh spellynge you were actually looking for is
"shrewd", although my spell-check in the mail programme didn't blink once.
Arrggh. However, knowing a little about your devious ways, I begin to wonder
if you DID have ulterior motives... my one-celled brainless automatic
spell-checker also caught "tounge" instead of modern "tongue".)

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!