minstrel: Happy New Year

umwhit46 at cc.UManitoba.CA umwhit46 at cc.UManitoba.CA
Fri Jan 3 19:26:49 PST 1997

I will be *very* interested in the replies for one main reason:  I am an
adult who, frustratingly, can't read music.  I must rely on my ears alone to
teach me new tunes.  There are obvious disadvantages to this.  Someone says,
"Let's start in D".  I say, "Huh?".  They say, "That one!" (pointing to the
appropriate hole on my flageolet).  I say, "uh...thanks."  Awkward, at best.

I would also like to be able to actually *write down* what I hear in my head.
 I can *play* it, but, in a day or two, it's gone without a trace.  For now,
I restrict myself to lyrics and rely on a partner for music.  That has
worked, but, of late, he has had less time for the SCA and I have lost my
composer.

Music, for me, is rather like being given a wonderful, versatile vehicle --
without the keys.  I therefore add a question to the original:  Is it
possible for adult to teach *herself/himself* how to read music?

Sadly,

Sian verch Gruffydd