minstrel: Happy New Year

Baker, Mike mbaker at rapp.com
Thu Jan 2 14:53:00 PST 1997

For teaching the reading of modern musical notation, I strongly suggest
beginning with at least a basic intro to a piano keyboard & how *that*
relates to staff notation. And don't be afraid to include all the nifty
little mnemonic devices (FACE, AllCowsEatGrass, EveryGoodBoyDoesFine,
GoodBoysDoFineAlways, etc.) Add the concepts of intervals only after your
audience grasps the above firmly!

Proceed next to whole/half/quarter note & rests, supplemented by a few of
the more common performance notations (allegro, cresc., dim., ret.).

Don't go into chords until later in the process, after the intervals and
note-lengths have made sense.

Background:  It helped me immensely when my 8th Grade Chorus class was only
7 participants, and the teacher decided to go ahead and give us basic piano
instruction. Allowed me to sight-read far better than I would have otherwise
(at least for vocal parts). I can still plunk out the basic melody lines,
although I never progressed past the simplest chord+melody playing. With
time, I expect I could gain most of *that* back as well were I to devote
that time to practice...

Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard)  s.k.a. Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri
al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!