Musical Assertions (fwd)

Dick Eney dickeney at access.digex.net
Wed Dec 13 07:20:35 PST 1995

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Carol J. Cannon wrote:

>    Poor Lady Cynthia, I've a feeling she's about to be overrun with
> examples of those instruments that have... <smile>  I'll forward your
>
> Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 06:02:25 -0800
> From: Cvirtue
>      I now have another medieval music CD, and in the liner notes is an
> assertion which I have a difficult time believing.  Those of you who are
> musically inclined, would you please comment on the following?
>      "Appropriately like the dinosaurs -- that is, quite without explaination
> -- no medieval instruments whatsoever have survived, so that we are thrown
> back completely on the often ambiguous iconography of the period (stained
> glass, paintings, etc. ) for our knowledge of these, plus a few scattered
> references in contemporary treatises to the tuning of instruments which in
> most cases we cannot even identify positively with those illustrated."

Well, the famous Irish harp in the museum (sometimes called the harp of
Brian Boru (I think)) is well-documented to as a fifteenth-century
reproduction of a truly ancient style.  It was made during the first
(probably) Celtic New Age Revival.  And there are several authentic
medieval hurdy-gurdies around.

-- Tamar  (sharing account dickeney at access.digex.net)
   Home at last...