Musical Assertions (fwd)

White Tree Productions ioseph at locksley.com
Sat Dec 9 23:32:43 PST 1995

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995, Sharon Goetz wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Dec 1995 kohrn at bach.seattleu.edu wrote:
> > remembe of museum (somewhere in Northern England) that had a pretty good
> > collection of medieval instruments too.  I suppose it might come
> > down to what you call medieval.  Has anything survived from the "dark
> > ages"?
>
> According to the comprehensive catalog of finds at Sutton Hoo, there's a
> lute-like instrument whose remains have been found.  It's identifiably a
> string instrument, but I expect it'd be a little difficult to tell how it
> had been tuned (I don't recall what the original post was asking).  The
> Sutton Hoo site's date is sometime in the seventh century (opinions vary).
> --Bronach

Actually, it reconstructs into something more like a lyre. I am digging
in my refs for specific pre-1450 musical instrument survivals.....

 locksley at locksley.com          PO Box 35190          Locksley Plot Systems
 White Tree Productions       Phoenix, AZ 85069             CyberMongol Ltd
         "Do not ascribe your own motivations to others. At best,
            it will break your heart, at worst, get you dead."
*song lyrics at ftp.dnaco.net  pub/sca/locksley  - tapes at 1-510-735-9663*
          For a Good Time, call  http://www.primenet.com/~ioseph/