Musical Assertions (fwd)

Sharon Goetz gthistle at uclink.berkeley.edu
Sat Dec 9 15:30:53 PST 1995

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995 kohrn at bach.seattleu.edu wrote:
> remembe of museum (somewhere in Northern England) that had a pretty good
> collection of medieval instruments too.  I suppose it might come
> down to what you call medieval.  Has anything survived from the "dark
> ages"?

According to the comprehensive catalog of finds at Sutton Hoo, there's a
lute-like instrument whose remains have been found.  It's identifiably a
string instrument, but I expect it'd be a little difficult to tell how it
had been tuned (I don't recall what the original post was asking).  The
Sutton Hoo site's date is sometime in the seventh century (opinions vary).
--Bronach