Musical Assertions (fwd)

White Tree Productions ioseph at locksley.com
Fri Dec 8 09:14:45 PST 1995

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Carol J. Cannon wrote:

>    Poor Lady Cynthia, I've a feeling she's about to be overrun with
> examples of those instruments that have... <smile>  I'll forward your
>
> Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 06:02:25 -0800
> From: Cvirtue
>      I now have another medieval music CD, and in the liner notes is an
> assertion which I have a difficult time believing.  Those of you who are
> musically inclined, would you please comment on the following?
>      "Appropriately like the dinosaurs -- that is, quite without explaination
> -- no medieval instruments whatsoever have survived, so that we are thrown
> back completely on the often ambiguous iconography of the period (stained
> glass, paintings, etc. ) for our knowledge of these, plus a few scattered
> references in contemporary treatises to the tuning of instruments which in
> most cases we cannot even identify positively with those illustrated."
>
> Signed,
> Musically Unsophisticated in Crosston

For many of them, yes. Hell, we don't even agree on -names- much of the time!

However....we -do- have quite a few examples of medieval instruments, notably
the Celtic harps that have survived. See Armstrong's "The Irish and Highland
Harps" for examples.

 locksley at locksley.com          PO Box 35190          Locksley Plot Systems
 White Tree Productions       Phoenix, AZ 85069             CyberMongol Ltd
         "Do not ascribe your own motivations to others. At best,
            it will break your heart, at worst, get you dead."
*song lyrics at ftp.dnaco.net  pub/sca/locksley  - tapes at 1-510-735-9663*
          For a Good Time, call  http://www.primenet.com/~ioseph/