Songs and Lyrics....

Heather Rose Jones hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Sun Oct 1 10:23:22 PDT 1995

I would be a lot more sanguine about these massive "freely-downloadable
lyric databases" if it weren't that every time I have spot-checked one of
them I have found my own copyrighted material being offered freely to all
and sundry without my permission ever having been asked, much less
obtained. In some cases, I have found the material appearing without so much
as an attribution, much less a copyright notice. And if this is happening
to non-prolific, unknown little me, you can bet it's happening ten-fold
to the copyrighted works of better known and more popular composers.

Friends, I would ask that you not let the ease of electronic publication
lead you to ride uncaring and rough-shod over the property rights of
those whose works you enjoy. Offering a set of song lyrics to the entire
world without permission is the moral equivalent of massively duplicating
a commercial recording and handing it out to your friends.

Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn
Heather Rose Jones