Jedian Lyrics: A Trimarian Sampler

Jed O'Connor joconnor at mailer.fsu.edu
Tue Sep 19 06:21:17 PDT 1995

>To: Doris Diedrich <dido at coli.uni-sb.de>
>From: joconnor at mailer.fsu.edu (Jed O'Connor)
>Subject: Jedian Lyrics: A Trimarian Sampler
>

>>But for those without such problems:
>>How about sharing tunes (music) via e-mail in abc Notation ?
>>That's a translation of musical notes and chords in an ASCII-format.
>>There is _free_ software on the net to play those tunes in abc format on a
>>computer and there is software too to translate abc in a format, musictex
>>uses to make nice layouts.
>>I personally use it since a year or so and it works fine.
>>So maybe, that abc format is a solution for us ?
>>
>>Maybe someone has the ftp-site handy ?
>>If not, I will e-mail it to you.
>>Give me some time to do so.
>>
>>Rigani vom Rabenwald (Newbe on SCA and like-to-be bard)

Jed writes:
     Lady Rigani, are you actually German mundanely, or from some
German-speaking country?  It seems like one of our number wanted to
correspond with someone in that language a week or two ago to sharpen up her
childhood memories of other languages.
     I, for one, would be delighted to see the software of which you speak,
so please post the web address at your convenience.
     Here are some lyrics of my own, since no one else seems to be offering
any "new stuff" yet:

RHIANNON
(by Jed O'Connor/Jed Silverstar copyright 1981)

White mare in a silver caparison,
Mane blowing like thistledown snow,
Bears one to the land of a fairer sun;
To Anwyn Rhiannon would go.

R:  Blooms to her beauty rise,
Greening fern grows,
Early night's purple skies
Burn into rose.

In moonlight she rides a white mare,
And silver birds perch in her hair.
Dark skylarks surround her in song.
Rhiannon, she rides to the dawn.
Rhiannon.

Frost falling from forests of evergreen,
Streams brimming with crystalline dew,
Shed beauty on waters once never seen;
Spring welcomes Rhiannon anew.

R:  Blooms to her beauty rise,
Greening fern grows,
Early night's purple skies
Burn into rose.

In moonlight she rides a white mare,
And silver birds perch in her hair.
Dark skylarks surround her in song.
Rhiannon, she rides to the dawn.
Rhiannon.
- - - - - - - - - -

Here's the only extant verse of a song I'm working on now; it's performed in
the A-mode (aeolian?) and will be most deliciously lamentatious upon completion.

MYSTERY OF THE SANGREAL
(by Jed O'Connor/Jed Silverstar, copyright 1995)

What is the Grail?
Whom does it serve?
Safe under veil
Lies a view
Of the vision few preserve.

R:
Look within if you dare
Risk your soul
On a hazard
Of glory or despair.
- - - - - - - - - -

And here's a sample of Trimarian Calypso. As you can see, a Caribbean accent
is necessary for a proper rendition:

THE ELEPHANT SONG:
(by Jed O'Connor/Jed Silverstar, copyright 1995)

O the el-e-phant is an an-e-mal
He got feet as big as a tree-ee,
But the el-e-phant, he can be my freind
As long as he don't step on me.

Don't step on me el-e-phant!
Don't snap at me crocodile!
I'll bring me a snack, I'll
feed every jackal
so we can laugh awhile.
Don't spit at me adder, mon!
Say what is the madder, mon?
There's plenty of merit to make like a parrot
Let's talk and be friends!
There's plenty of merit to make like a parrot
Let's talk and be friends!

O the ocelot, she can't change her spot,
And the tiger can't change his stri-ipe.
But they both will purr if you smooth their fur
When the lion sleeps tonight!

Don't growl at me lionness,
There's no need to spy on us!
We come here to play or maybe parlay
So why not get high on us?
O unfold your furry ears,
We don't need no worri-ers!
Bring your pal the cheetah, we'd all like to meet-'er
Let's talk and be friends!
Bring your pal the cheetah, we'd all like to meet-'er
Let's talk and be friends!

The piranha fish is a little vish-iz
At times as so are we a-all,
But when she's feeling sweet
With her t'ousand teet(h),
She can smile ten feet tall.

Don't eat me piranha fish!
No, no, that is not my wish!
No I'm not a blintz, not made out of mince
Not under no covered dish.
Don't see no men or women here.
I don't wanna go swimmin here!
But if you wanna chat, well I'm all for that,
Let's talk and be friends.
If you wanna chat, well I'm all for that,
Let's talk and be friends.

The tarantula is a raunchy fella
He bite if he got the chance.
But he's really swell at a tarantella--
Why not take him to the dance?

Don't fang me tarantula!
My legs are essentula!
I only got two, not eight legs like you,
So lighten up, cantula?
There's more use for mandibles
Than acting like candibles!
It's no voodoo curse to wanna converse,
Let's talk and be friends.
It's no voodoo cures to wanna converse,
Let's talk and be friends.

(Repeat Elephant verse #1)

I also do the occasional historical piece. Earlier this year I wrote a song
entitled 1066 which basically reduced the entire Bayeaux Tapestry to ten
verses spanning the deaths of Edward, Hardraada, and Harold of England. I'll
save it for another message some other time.