Hunting the Wren

Margritte margritt at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 9 13:30:45 PDT 1995

At 9:28 AM 9/9/95, Brett Williams wrote:

>>Well, I *like* the grim and gruesome ballads, the ones where everyone
>dies and one's day is generally Real Bad (grin).

My sentiments exactly!  Let's hear it for doom and gloom!  Actually, I have
to be careful because so many of the songs I do are, well...less than
cheerful.  And sometimes that's just not what the audience wants to hear.

>Which leads to another question of mine:  What do you all (meaning the
>subscribers to the enitre list) feel about all the pieces that fall
>into the "unproven" category? Do we adhere strictly to the letter of
>the law and exclude all that which is undocumentable despite they can
>be placed in our period by reference or quotation?

For myself, I have two goals in mind when performing at a bardic circle.
First, I want to match the mood of the circle with the songs I am singing.
If everyone else is doing boisterous drinking songs, then the chances that
they will enjoy a lengthy tragic ballad are slim to none.

Secondly, I want whatever I perform to add to the illusion that we are
actually in the Middle Ages.  I've had too many evenings ruined by
renditions of Monty Python skits or songs from the 60's (or worse).  The
ballads that most people think of as "medieval" (most of Child's, for
example) may in fact be out of period, but they do add to the atmosphere we
are trying to re-create.  The same goes for original works which are
written in a period style.  All the better if we can mix these with actual
period pieces, and perhaps create that moment of magic we all seek.

-Margritte

Gryphon's Moon - Request our free catalog of Celtic jewelry.

email margritt at mindspring.com or check out our web page at
http://www.mindspring.com/~maclain/