Wren Songs

Margritte margritt at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 8 19:53:27 PDT 1995

Those of you who are looking for "wren" songs, I would suggest you look for
a book called "The Christmas Revels Songbook", compiled by Nancy and John
Langstaff.

It includes the music for "Please To See the King", which begins "Joy,
health, love, and peace be all here in this place...."  I believe this is
the one that Steeleye Span does.  The notes say that this is a traditional
carol from Pembrokeshire, South Wales, commemorating the ritual
king-killing of the wren on St. Steven's day, Dec. 26.

It also includes music for "The Wren Song", which begins "The wren, the
wren, the king of all birds, St. Steven's day was caught in the firs...."
This one is traditional Irish.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know what connection there is
between St. Steven and the wren in question?

-Margritte

Gryphon's Moon - Request our free catalog of Celtic jewelry.

email margritt at mindspring.com or check out our web page at
http://www.mindspring.com/~maclain/