Hunting the Wren

White Tree Productions ioseph at locksley.com
Fri Sep 8 08:37:42 PDT 1995

On Fri, 8 Sep 1995, Brett Williams wrote:

> >>I'm looking for a period source for the song "Hunting the Wren".
> >
> >        The wren, oh the wren, he's the king of all birds
> >        St. stevens day was caught in the firs
> >        Although he was little his honor was great
> >        won't you give me a _____ (I forget this word)
> >        for to bury the wren
> >

> And I learned an entirely different version from Holly Tannen, who got
> hers from oral tradition as still sung in southern England.
>
> Where are you going, says Milder to Malder
> Where are you going, says Festle to Fose
> We may not tell you. says the younger to the elder
> Out to the green wood, says John the Red Nose
>
> ciorstan macAmhlaidh

Hi Cirostan MacAppleUser! <grin!>

I learned it under the name "Billy Barlow" as a kid in N. Carolina.....how
these songs -do- survive!

 locksley at locksley.com          PO Box 35190          Locksley Plot Systems
 White Tree Productions       Phoenix, AZ 85069             CyberMongol Ltd
         "Do not ascribe your own motivations to others. At best,
            it will break your heart, at worst, get you dead."
*song lyrics at ftp.dnaco.net  pub/sca/locksley  - tapes at 1-510-735-9663*
          For a Good Time, call  http://www.primenet.com/~ioseph/