non-verbal communication

White Tree Productions ioseph at locksley.com
Thu Sep 7 16:41:54 PDT 1995

On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Robin Hilp wrote:

> I'm looking for info on body language.  Is anything written about this
> ... maybe someone somewhere studied paintings or stage directions or
> interior decorating and drew some conclusions ... How close did people
> stand to each other?  What did eye contact or lack thereof (or direction
> of gaze) signify?  Are any specific gestures known?  What habitual postures
> were associated with specific classes or trades?  Are there any known
> rules for table manners or is it all hollywood guesswork based on daggars
> and conanoid jaw muscles?
>
> The Charlemaigne years are my primary interest but I'll take whatever I
> can get ... *grins*

There are definitely standardized gestures from the period(s).....I can;t
recall them right offhand, but they apparently came from the silent
orders of monks, and evolved into quite a courtly language....ask on
Rialto, as I belive someone posted quite a little dissertation on it a
while back.

And table manners.....there are several instructions for squires and the
like that show those.

 locksley at locksley.com          PO Box 35190          Locksley Plot Systems
 White Tree Productions       Phoenix, AZ 85069             CyberMongol Ltd
         "Do not ascribe your own motivations to others. At best,
            it will break your heart, at worst, get you dead."
*song lyrics at ftp.dnaco.net  pub/sca/locksley  - tapes at 1-510-735-9663*
          For a Good Time, call  http://www.primenet.com/~ioseph/