Interesting Music Sources

Heather Rose Jones hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 6 20:34:34 PDT 1995

Apropos of sharing useful sources for SCA singers, I ran across a book in
the U.C. Berkeley music library that should be on the "want" list for
vocalists who want to do English-language, non-Renaissance songs. It's:

"The Early English Carols" ed. by Richard Leighton Greene (Oxford: The
Clarendon Press, 1977)

It's a collection of all known English carol lyrics from the 16th century
and earlier, arranged generally by topic, and with an excellant
introduction on the nature and uses of the carol. Its only major fault is
in having no musical notation whatsoever, but in many cases none is known
for particular lyrics. I've been working on trying to adapt some of the
earlier ones -- treading the fine line between keeping as close to the
original as possible but making it more understandable to those who don't
speak Middle English. I was particularly amused to run across a 15th
century version of the song I learned in childhood as "The Fox Went Out
on a Cloudy Night".

Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn