On Terms Bardic

ERIN NHAMINERVA amazon at mercury.sfsu.edu
Sun Sep 3 17:12:15 PDT 1995

Greetings to all:
   The term "Bard", according to P.W. Joyce (A Social History Of Ancient
Ireland) means "poet", but is not a designation of degree. It was common
usage for a self taught poet or a common rhymer. He quotes the Book Of
Rights as saying "A bard is one without lawful learning but his own
intellect". Filidh (lit. "poisoned sweetness", or one who lawfully is
entitled to compose both planxty and satire) or Ollamh are the titles of
actual degrees. He goes on to say, however, that in the twelve year
course laid down in the Book of Ollaves, that a person was considered a
bard on completion of the seventh year. Perhaps it was considered less
than respectable because the degree was unfinished? There's also an
extensive table of degrees in both bardic and monastic schools in the
same chapter and nowhere on it is the term "bard" ever mentioned.
   Well, that's a lot more than you probably wanted to know, but the
distinction is one I've been trying to refine for quite some time. As a
pass-the-hat performer with an Irish persona on the Faire circuit, the
term has often been applied to me and I wanted to know exactly what it
meant. I also sell recordings and was at a loss as to what to call them
as the term "cassette" or "tape" is more than a little out of period.
Someone suggested "Bard In A Box", and I liked it, but thought the term
was losing its original meaning too. Now I find that we in the street are
not only entitled to it, but it's not exactly complimentary.....
   As long as I'm at it, I might as well introduce myself. I'm Faire
Folk, rather than SCA, and I mainly work as a pass-the-hat performer
under the name Sorche Tanrahan, or The Black Rose. I wouldn't mind
getting hooked into the SCA, but till recently I was in school and Faire
was lucrative (believe it or not) and so I stuck to that in my limited
spare time.