hist-games: The Tablero Hoax apparently proven

Justin du coeur jducoeur at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 17:26:10 PDT 2013

Yep.  While not quite as common in my experience with games, this happens
*all* the time with dance (one of my other areas of concentration).

Pre-17th century dance usually has a fair element of speculation to it,
since describing dance precisely is a bit tricky, and reconstructions tend
to range from Slightly Squishy to Mostly Guesswork.  But even with the
nearly pure guesses, even when the reconstruction was laced throughout with
caveats, it's remarkably common to find it later parroted as being entirely
authentic.

(And of course, then there is the Carolingian Pavane -- a modern invention
crafted by a local scholar for a performance and named after our SCA Barony
-- which has occasionally been cited as being "medieval" on the basis that
it clearly came from the Carolingian Empire...)