hist-games: The Tablero Hoax apparently proven

Wendi Dunlap litlnemo at slumberland.seattle.wa.us
Fri Apr 26 16:49:03 PDT 2013

*delurking*

I can see why people would be taken in by a really authoritative origin
tale that they really, REALLY want to believe.

I created a speculative reconstruction of a medieval game, and said VERY
CLEARLY on the website about it that we don't know what rules the game
may have had in period, and that my version is a "plausible
reconstruction," something fun to play at events, and nothing more.

I have since been horrified to find people using my version in web
articles and term papers, representing it as "these are the rules for
the medieval game." Somehow... my disclaimer is always the part that
doesn't get copied. People want to believe.

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> The tumblr article does seem to match the copies floating around, see
> this from our archive:
>
> http://www.pbm.com/pipermail/hist-games/2001/000720.html
>
> But I will note that several people have written very long
> explanations on the web of why they were the source of the
> "rocket car" Darwin Award hoax. Now a major motion picture!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIEQXIkXrPU
>
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 01:48:58PM -0400, Justin du coeur wrote:
>> I just stumbled across this page:
>>
>> http://superfluidity.tumblr.com/post/1120590241/a-godly-game-which-rewardeth-forbearence-and-punisheth<http://superfluidity.tumblr.com/post/1120590241/a-godly-game-which-rewardeth-forbearence-and-punisheth#note-container>
>>
>> While it doesn't call it by name, it's clearly talking about the invention
>> of Tablero de Jesus.  Seems to fit the facts as previously established, and
>> it sounds like the author of the game (apparently named Peter Swift, from
>> the links) had nothing to do with the SCA...

\-\ Wenyeva atte grene * "In tenebris lux" * pronounced WEN-yuh-vuh
  \-\ Armorum Servula, quam Ancoram Caeruleam dicunt
   \-\ Per chevron argent and vert, three beacons counterchanged.