hist-games: Thomas Hyde's Chinese hunt game

M Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Sun Apr 15 06:40:02 PDT 2012

After reviewing the rules, Robert and I have made some interesting
changes. "Deferred intervention capture" is introduced and "static
intervention capture" can always be executed, provided that the
General lacks freedoms, as in the initial position. So this game
introduces two novelties, and it functions finely.  Deferred
intervention capture: if the General is located between two enemy
pieces, he captures them both by moving away.

In his book, Hyde clearly defines the static intervention capture.
Evidently, deferred intervention capture is related to the static
version. It's the same pieces that are captured, namely those that
surround the General where it is positioned. So it is quite possible
that this is the type of capture that he meant, rather than normal
intervention capture. In both cases it is the "from" square which
defines which pieces are to be captured. Thus, the General can only
capture pieces by *being* between them, not *going* between them. The
rule of deferred intervention capture is substantiated by the fact
that we are told that the General 'semper facit' ("always does so" -
captures, i.e.). In this sense, capture is compulsory as it is
automatic, but not in the sense of modern checkers (which would seem
too modern).

More information and a Zillions program here:
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/subjugatio.htm

Mats Winther