hist-games: Roman wheel patterns

mawinse mwi9 at swipnet.se
Sun May 30 10:54:53 PDT 2010

I have now, on request from P. Michaelsen, tried out a few roman
wheel patterns as bear games. These patterns occur on walls and
pavements, etc. They are described in  R.C. Bell and C.M. Roueché:
"Graeco-Roman Pavement Signs and Game Boards" and elsewhere.

It turns out that none of the following function as bear games.
CC.3. Two concentric circles with 8 spokes.
CC.8. Circle with central circle, without centre point, 8 spokes,
and 8 semicircles.
 CCC.3. 3 concentric circles with 8 spokes ending in arcs on outer
perimeter; crosses in outer circles between arcs.

I have also tried out the three most common merels boards as bear
games, but that didn't work either. Bear games demand a special
topography. As the Augusta Raurica diagrams function so finely, it
is very likely that they are real bear games. It is likely that they managed
to construct perfectly working bear games purely by chance.

I guess, many roman wheel patterns are "degenerate"
bear games, stylized games working as protective mandalas.
However, I have found that the Didyma diagram is functional.
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/beargames.htm

Nor does the Vignone diagram function as a bear game,
which looks like small hare game with two extra horizontal lines
in the triangles. Maybe it is a magical sign rather than a real
game board.

By the way, I have recently implemented a Tibetan traditional
game "Monk and Water", which is a good game. Thanks to
Peter for pointing me to this:
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/monkandwater.htm

Mats