hist-games: Need reference in Glonnegger: Das Spiele-Buch...

Arnold Mayer arnold.mayer at onlinehome.de
Fri Sep 25 02:33:55 PDT 2009

Hello Mats!

You can find "Gala" at Glonnegger's book on the pp 186-187 (edition from
1999).

To "reconstruct" the Gala rules I used the works of Müller-Alfeld,
Glonnegger and Bell.
But all this rules are incomplete. So, I added the "missing" parts by
studying through similar games (Hnefatafl, Ard Ri) and by own
interpretations.

Gala must be a real "old" game, because of similarities with Hnefatafl
and because of the names of the game pieces.

Gala: there is an old norse word "kala", this means "making cold" (this
is a phrase for "killing"). The Gala is the one who must be killed in
the game.
Gala: in old norse mythology there is a dwarf named Gala / Galar, this
means "the singing one", "the calling one". This dwarf and his brother
killed Kvasir, to get his wisdom.
Kampa: could be a derived from "Kämpfer" (fighter, warrior) or from the
norse word for "bearded"
Korna: means "cattles". Maybe this was the name for a caste of warriors
(wild like cattles / wisents?)
Horsa: seems to be clear: the "horse" (horseman, mounted warrior)

This facts leads to the old norse culture, to the vikings / danish /
swedish people settled in Schleswig-Holstein.

Arnold

--
Arnold Mayer
Meilerstraße 1