hist-games: Period Games article available for review

M Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Tue Jun 30 00:41:54 PDT 2009

The Tafl rules contains errors. You write that the king must be surrounded
on all four sides to be captured. But this is only valid if the king is
positioned in the middle. On the squares immediately surrounding the central
squares
one must surround it by three pieces + central square (which functions as
capture square). On the rest of the board it's enough with two pieces to
capture the king. Only the corner squares and the central square function
as capture squares (not the rim).

The above rules have been worked out by the historical museum in Stockholm
and have been implemented in a win3.1 program and in my Zillions program.
They function perfectly. With the rules you describe, it's perfectly
impossible for the black pieces to win. This is important to understand
because it
means that the game is completely useless with your rules, and people will
find it
boring. Read more here:
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/tablut.htm