hist-games: What's the one game (or maybe two or three) you would include?

Jane & Mark Waks waks at comcast.net
Sun Jun 7 15:33:14 PDT 2009

SEDWilkins at aol.com wrote:
> I think you do best with games that have a hint of familiarity (so as
> not to be intimidating) but enough novelty to feel archaic (really,
> draughts and checkers don't make people feel like they're in another
> century). So a tables game that is less like modern backgammon, such as
> sixe-ace, might be more fun.

Definitely possible, yes. My personal variant of choice is Tick-Tack,
but that's specifically a gambling game; I'm of mixed minds about
whether that's ideal for this introductory article. Sixe-ace is
certainly an option worth considering.

> If you want a card game, ombre would be easier/quicker, and the cards
> aren't hard to find.

True, but the usual version is a tad OOP for the SCA -- I'd prefer games
that are at least attested to the 16th century. (Do we have the 16th
century rules for L'Hombre? I've seen references to it many times, but
never any details about how the game worked.) It also has the downside
that I haven't taught it, so I'm less confident about writing it into an
article on such short notice.

> If you want to go beyond table games, quilles, shuttlecock and tops
> and/or hoops are nice (and can involve kids, obviously).

Yaas. I'm leaning towards Bowls as an active game, mostly because Bocce
sets are currently so easy to come by...