hist-games: What's the one game (or maybe two or three) you would include?

Jane & Mark Waks waks at comcast.net
Sun Jun 7 15:21:32 PDT 2009

jon at gothic green oak wrote:
> Gluckshaus is easy to construct, may be played by several people any of
> whom may leave the game at some point and might be replaced by someone
> else, and has the additional positive feature of requiring no skill
> whatsoever.

Hmm. A good suggestion, but I find myself torn about the "easy to
construct" thing. Making a primitive Gluckshaus board is easy, but a
nice-looking one is a pain. And you can't over-simplify: it at least has
to show enough mnemonics to remember which square does what. OTOH, it
*is* an easy and fun social game. (Goose has many of the same
considerations, but moreso: easy, fun, social, but its board is a *real*
pain.)

> Three men's morris is one of the most beautifully formed two minute
> games ever made, (possibly too simple though?).

Yeah, that's my suspicion -- I'm likely to go for nine-men's if I
include a Morris game. Besides being common and medium-complexity, it's
fairly easy to find commercially-made sets...