hist-games: What's the one game (or maybe two or three) you would include?

David Parish-Whittaker davidparishwhittaker at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 7 14:44:37 PDT 2009

Rather than repeat the rules and strategies for games that existed in the period and today, why not just mention the differences?  For example, you definitely should mention tables, but comment that the doubling rule didn't exist yet.  Similarly, for chess, you could talk about some of the earlier period variants, as well as mentioning that by the 16th, it used pretty much the same rules as today.

A few simple dice games (like those in Alphonso X's collection) would be great--  personal experience has been that those are more popular than cards.  But definitely put in a card game or two.  I vote for tarocchi:  the rules are easy enough, the decks are pretty (and fairly ubiquitous), and it was popular pretty much everywhere aside from England.  Toss in thirty and one and call it a day.

Finally, definitely mention physical games, but again, stick to the ones with easy to describe rules.  Bowls is a good evening game, and everyone loves football with a nice leather ball.