hist-games: What's the one game (or maybe two or three) you would include?

SEDWilkins at aol.com SEDWilkins at aol.com
Sun Jun 7 09:01:44 PDT 2009

Justin-

I think you do best with games that have a hint of familiarity (so as not
to be intimidating) but enough novelty to feel archaic (really, draughts and
 checkers don't make people feel like they're in another century). So a
tables  game that is less like modern backgammon, such as sixe-ace, might be
more  fun.

If you want a card game, ombre would be easier/quicker, and the cards
aren't hard to find.

Hasard works if you have someone to be the caster.

Merels is good.

If you want to go beyond table games, quilles, shuttlecock and tops and/or
hoops are nice (and can involve kids, obviously).

>>The goal here is to describe a few good games for novices. They  should
be moderately easy to play and to describe: I've only got a total  of
2-3000 words here, so I have to be careful of complexity. And frankly,  I
don't want the games to be too intimidating. (So Chess is borderline,
and Rhythmomachy is right out.) But at the same time, I'm inclined
against the idiotically simple games like Dublets, that aren't as
interesting without strong drink.

Also, I think we should limit  ourselves to games that can be played with
easy-to-obtain equipment, or at  least easily made. Chess, Tables and
games with standard cards are options  there; not sure about Tarocchi.
(Since most easily-available Tarot decks  kinda suck for it.) Merels is
probably okay, since the board is easy to  draw, but probably not Goose.

So the question I put to y'all, as I  ponder this, is: what would you
include? Choose one to three games that  you think suit these
requirements, that you think would be good for this  article. I've got a
few options in mind already, but I haven't made up my  mind, so I'm
interested in what everybody else has to  say.<<

Sally  Wilkins

If you're not worried about peak oil, you're  not paying attention.
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377042x1201454362/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
eExcfooterNO62)