hist-games: Tarok

Jane & Mark Waks waks at comcast.net
Sun Mar 29 08:19:51 PDT 2009

Teceangl wrote:
> I believe Tarot is mentioned in Rabelais (1494-1553), specifically in
> Gargantua's games.
> Of course I'm reading a translation, but someone else might know
> whether or not it was 'Tarot' in the original.

Well, pretty close, anyway. If you look at this list from the 1653
English translation, you'll see that it includes Tarot:

	http://www.isebastiani.com/NotesAndLists/Gargantua-Games.html

At first, I thought that was a mistranslation, because nothing starting
"taro" shows up in the French. Fortunately, this transcription of the
1534 edition calls the game out specifically (since it is from the
Tarock site):

	http://www.tarock.info/gargantua_XXII.htm

Assuming that "au tarau" is correctly translated as "Tarot" (which seems
very likely), then the answer seems to be yes. Which isn't really
surprising: everything I've seen seems to indicate that Tarot games were
reasonably well-known on the continent.

For reference, these Gargantua transcriptions (and a couple of others)
are listed on the Transcriptions and Facsimiles (and Translations -- I
ought to fix the title) page of the Period Games page:

	http://jducoeur.org/game-hist/game-trans.html