hist-games: alea evangelii

Jon at Gothic Green Oak jon at gothicgreenoak.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 09:23:53 PDT 2008

With the exception of the 9x9 tafl game, which is recorded ethnographically
with its well known starting position and alea evangelii as shown in the
9th/11th/12 C manuscript the layout of the 7x7, 11x11 and 13x13  is entirely
conjectural. Excepting the 7z7 tafl game which is too small for much
variation, if the 11x11 and 13x13 boards (and possibly the 15x15 board form
Coppergate) were laid out so that  instead of the four separate camps of
attackers there was a more open layout along the lines of alea evangelii do
you think this would make a difference to the length of the game and the
frequency of wins by either side? Without having attempted this I imagine it
would disadvantage the king but lengthen the game making it possibly a more
even and interesting game (king unarmed)  - has anyone tried this?

jon