hist-games: alea evangelii

M Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Thu Jun 26 23:36:19 PDT 2008

Den 2008-06-27 07:11:59 skrev Damian Walker <damian at snigfarp.karoo.co.uk>:

> Quoting M Winther's message of Yesterday:
>
>> So how old is Alea Evangelii? Is it really from the tenth century?
>
> I have no reason to disbelieve that it's a 10th century game, that we're
> seeing through a 12th century manuscript.  The 12th century manuscript
> could be a copy of an earlier (e.g. 10th century) one, or it could be a
> new work based on an earlier source.  The 10th century date, by the way,
> comes from the mention in the manuscript that the game comes from king
> Athelstan's court - his reign was 925-940 (sometimes given as 924-939,
> I'm not sure which is the modern thinking).

I have made a Zillions implementation of Alea Evangelii according to the
reconstruction of Tablut rules by M. Skoglund, Historisk Form, and I. Lindström,
The Historical Museum, Stockholm. These are the rules used in tournaments in
Sweden (whether they have held any tournaments, I don't know). I found that
Brandubh (Irish), Large Hnefatafl (Norwegian), Tablut (Swedish), and Alea
Evangelii (Saxon), all work finely with these rules. However, other variants
seem to have used other rules.
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/tablut.htm

Mats